martedì 11 dicembre 2012

the collector : part 13 revisited : teeth!

https://blogger.googleusercontent.com/img/b/R29vZ2xl/AVvXsEhqwNKtOuoLLw-44cWshJKOzG-R5CbMUjUnqmTclHPb4tBSuIZyg_yI_ynPDbET-1nRhm8VdvdAhNskBIuqWcSCeBkbgTEJQwgAcpGqoFvO9HBY405bmt6sYj7hF5QgqeXls_P5F_NwYDNE/s1600/tooth-collection-1.jpg
While I know this is something that certainly won't appeal to everyone I have had a few request for me to talk about this collection. I'd be lying if I said I haven't been itching for a very long time to blog about it either. I've slowly been trying to sneak all my interests into this blog because I don't want it to just be the cutesy things in my life. I have a lot of other interests that aren't just cats, nail art and cute outfits. The relief I felt after posting my first reading recap of the year was incredible, I revealed what I liked to read and stopped feeling awkward that I love reading some strange things. More recently I've been gushing about my love of cemeteries. (Did you know I was actually nervous to blog about the girl in blue?) I really stress about silly stuff like that too much! Anyway, as if it were any surprise - I collect teeth!
I've always thought teeth were neat, because I mean c'mon, the whole human body is amazing. But I started my collection sometime around April of 2011. It was my first estate sale, a few blocks away from my house. I bought a cup, some necklaces and a spice rack in the house (I have an amazing memory when it comes to thrifty finds, seriously, I can probably tell you the exact place I've found nearly everything I own and some other silly little fact about the day as well like what I was wearing or the weather) Afterwards I went out into the garage and found t hem - a pair of dentures. (you can see them here) The "these are awesome" factor over ruled my "wow, that's gross" reaction and I had to have them. 50 cents later they were mine.

After I got home I spent a good deal of time looking around on ebay for more dentures. I knew I had to have a collection of dentures. I came to find out there's actually a market for used dentures (I'll be the first to admit that's kind of gross!) so my collection wouldn't be able to grow as quickly as I hoped. But I did realize there was a whole world of awesome dental stuff out there. Models of teeth, tooth shaped things, really just anything tooth related - I dig it.

Since then I've lucked out a few times and won some great auctions on ebay, found some awesome stuff on etsy, and even had some really awesome people send me teeth things in the mail...
I also have some real teeth, human and animal. When I got my wisdom teeth pulled along with a few more to make room for my teeth to move with my braces I made sure to go to a dentist who would let me bring them home. (Ugh, that was kind of an ordeal. Apparently some dentists think teeth are a bio hazard) Any animal skulls I find in the woods that aren't complete I bring home to collect the teeth (in the second photo those two jars are all animal teeth I've found.)

I also have a nice little collection of tooth jewelry! Brooches, rings and even a couple necklaces. All of the rings I've made myself with ring bases found on etsy and ceramic teeth I found on ebay. The bottom necklace was handmade by Extollo Jewelry (it's my favorite!) and the other can be found here.
I have a few shade guides. The one in focus below is one of my favorites. Mostly because it has the most extreme variation in colors.
Finally I have some old dental slides. I found these on etsy (the seller still has more, you can find them here) and had to have them. They really don't get the love they deserve. As you can see from the first photo they all just sit in a stack with some teeth on top. But I do enjoy spreading them out on the windowsill from time to time and seeing whats on them.
And that's my tooth collection!
xoxo


via The Dainty Squid
http://daintysquid.blogspot.com/2012/12/the-collector-part-13-revisited-teeth.html
taghandcraftnews




ifttt
Put the internet to work for you. via Personal Recipe 2225384

Nessun commento:

Posta un commento